topnav

Home Issues & Campaigns Agency Members Community News Contact Us

Community News

Open dialogue among community members is an important part of successful advocacy. Take Action California believes that the more information and discussion we have about what's important to us, the more empowered we all are to make change.

Friday, February 27, 2015

When given a chance to live a "normal," crime free life...

Learning about Prop 47 and being a part of Time for Change Foundation’s Get Out the Vote campaign, has made my understanding of my role in the community a whole lot clearer. Since being released from prison in September 2014, I have been engaged in many activities that have given me so much insight and knowledge that benefits me and others who are going through the same struggles that I am facing.

I came to Time for Change Foundation in October 2014 on parole, not knowing that in less than 6 months I would have gained so much knowledge, understanding, and accomplishments. I recently attended the Future of Elections 2015 Conference in Sacramento to learn a broader perspective of how we, the community, can make a difference and achieve greater outcomes on future elections.
I was able to get a better understanding on how and why it is so important to vote and be up to speed on campaigns, elected officials, bills and laws, and who the players are in our community. So even though I am not able to vote, being that I am on parole, I still feel that it is my responsibility to be sure that those around me are up to date with information and are voting in California Elections. Also reaching out to the public by phone banking, door to door flyers, to be sure that the community is registered to vote and helping them locate their voting polls so they can go vote.

As a repetitive felon it feels impossible to find a well paying job and even harder to keep one that will provide for me and my family. So Prop 47 gives me hope that I, and others who are going through the same situation,  can live “normal” crime free lives with attained employment. I am so grateful for and inspired from all the useful information that I am now aware of.
                                                                                                              
DeeLysa Harper 
February 24,2015


No comments:

Post a Comment