topnav

Home Issues & Campaigns Agency Members Community News Contact Us

Community News

Open dialogue among community members is an important part of successful advocacy. Take Action California believes that the more information and discussion we have about what's important to us, the more empowered we all are to make change.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

I am ready to spread the word!

Attending the panel discussion on barriers to employment for people with felonies, at the University of Redlands, was one of my first experiences since getting out of prison where I truly felt a part of something. The fact that it involved my personal experiences and the ones I left behind made it easy for me to engage in discussions that I have knowledge and passion about. I was able to identify with the questions and give honest feedback that I feel will contribute to change in policies that create barriers to people with past felony convictions. This experience not only  gave me visuals of all the things that are at my fingertips that can benefit me and my struggles, but it was one of the most exciting moments I have had since getting out of prison. It was empowering to know that the community I live in actually wanted to receive the information I had to give without judgment; their understanding made me feel appreciated.

There are lot of programs and resources in prison, but due to our limited contact with the free world, we are unaware of paths that are being paved for our benefit on the outside, so it was really refreshing to discuss AB 218, also known as Ban the Box, and Proposition  47. I felt honored that I was invited to this event. It showed me that my wants and needs are being recognized and understood. To meet new people, hear what they have to say about such a passionate issue of mine, was so touching to my heart. I was able to show my feelings of appreciation with those around me by giving some insight of the employment struggle that I am going through and how Prop 47 will affect my everyday living with those around me.

Overall, I felt very involved being a part of a group of people that are trying to help people like me who want to make a change for themselves. Knowing my position as a citizen in the community and what I can do for myself and for my community has empowered me to spread the word using the information that was given to me in my present situation and the future. I am ready!

                                                                                                                                        LeSaundra Jenkins 

No comments:

Post a Comment